Saturday, August 25, 2012

My morning run with Hawthorne


On my morning run, some of the most prominent American authors cheered me on, one step at a time. I ran up and down these steps a time or two, but as I was so intrigued by the quotes etched into the stone, I soon forgot about my exhaustion. After my second set of stairs, I stopped to catch my breath and take a picture of a quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne. His words are so wise and thought-provoking and as I continued my morning workout, this quote lingered in my mind.

Other notable quotes by Nathaniel Hawthorne:

“Words -- so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them.”

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which one is true.”

“Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you”

“Every individual has a place to fill in the world and is important in some respect whether he chooses to be so or not.”

“Our most intimate friend is not he to whom we show the worst, but the best of our nature.”

No comments:

Post a Comment